Source: Chaplains HEICS 1836-58/HMIS 1858-63 (Rev Frank Perry, The Church In Madras 1904)
Biography: FREDERICK GRUEBER LUGARD was born in 1807, being the son of Captain John Lugard, of the Inniskilling Dragoons, Com mandant of the Chelsea Military School (Duke of York's). He was educated at St. Paul's School, London, and matriculated as a Scholar at Trinity College, Cambridge, in 1828. He graduated B.A. in 1831, and M.A. in 1855. He was ordained Deacon in 1831, Priest in 1832, and in 1837 was appointed a Chaplain on the Madras establishment. He was the first of the Assistant Chaplains under the new rules. He served at Jaulnah, Cannanore, Vizagapatam (1839-45), Vepery (1845-53), Ootacamund, Fort St. George (1859-64), and retired in 1865. On his return home he became Rector of St. Clement's, Worcester (1865-75), and Vicar of Norton, in the county of Worcester (1875-94), when he gave up active work. He died at Acton in 1900. He was one of the trusted friends of Bishop Dealtry, after whom one of his sons was named. When Archdeacon Shortland retired in 1859, Lugard was the senior Presidency Chaplain and eminently fitted for the office, but he was very nearly at the end of his service and unwilling to vacate his appointment, to which extra pay was attached, and a younger man was preferred. Lugard figures in the monument of Bishop Dealtry at the west entrance of the Cathedral. In this the Bishop is represented at a confirmation, accompanied by his son, Archdeacon Dealtry, the Rev. Dr. Robert Murphy (Diocesan Registrar), and Lugard as Bishop's Chaplain.